VERGE SF - Oct 27-30
» Distributed Energy Systems
» Smarter Supply Chains
» Next-Gen Buildings
Early-Bird Rates End Sep 20th -- Save 30%
Nutshells, Tires Can Help Clean Up Mercury Emissions
"Mercury is a toxic pollutant that can enter rivers, lakes and the human food chain," said Massoud Rostam-Abadi, a chemical engineer and head of energy and environmental engineering at the Survey. "Coal-fired power plants are one of the largest ... sources of mercury emissions. With funding provided by EPRI (Electric Power Research Institute) and the Illinois Office of Solid Waste Research, we looked for materials that could effectively remove mercury from the combustion flue gases."
Adsorbents, not to be confused with absorbents, are solids or liquids that attract and retain solid, liquid, or gas molecules, atoms, or ions. (Absorbents are solids or liquids that soak up fluid molecules and distribute them throughout their bodies.)
In a collaborative research program, Rostam-Abadi and Scott Chen, another chemical engineer at the Survey, and their UI colleagues, prepared adsorbents from a variety of feedstocks, including Illinois high-sulfur coal, waste tires, and pistachio shells. The adsorbents were then evaluated for their effectiveness at removing two forms of mercury emissions -- elemental mercury and mercuric chloride -- from several different simulated combustion gas streams.
"We found that mercury removal was affected by both the properties of the adsorbent and the flue gas compositions," Rostam-Abadi said. "In one flue gas, the adsorbents were equally effective in removing both forms of mercury. In another flue gas, the tire and pistachio carbons had nearly five times larger capacity for the adsorption of mercuric chloride than their coal-derived counterpart."
You'll find strong evidence that green building has crossed a critical threshold, which begs the question of what comes next. Read more
Latest white papers from our sponsors:
- New Scope 2 Accounting Guidance: What it means for corporate decisions to purchase environmental instruments
- Energy Project Financing Cheat Sheet
- Addressing Transparency Expectations in the Metals and Mining Sector
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits & Upgrades
- Open Standards-Driven Wireless Building Energy Management
- Mack Technologies Achieves Unprecedented Wireless Control
- 14 Strategies to Save up to 70% in Energy Costs Using the Latest in Warehouse Lighting...and More
- Turning Title 24 Regulations into Smart Savings
- Unlocking ROI+: Understanding the Complete Return on Smart Building Investments
- Verifying Environmental Sustainability in the Electronics Marketplace
- A Benchmark Study of Current Practices and Tools for Sustainability
- Increasing Transparency of Environment and Health Claims for Cleaning Products
- How HP Achieves Leadership in Sustainable Product Footprinting at a Fraction of the Cost
- Creating Healthier Furniture and Building Materials by Minimizing Chemical Emissions
- Driving Performance and Transparency in Green Building Products
- Transparency and the Role of Environmental Product Declarations
- The Product Mindset
- Can You Save Millions with Sustainable Packaging Design?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Sustainability Software