VERGE SF - Oct 27-30
» Distributed Energy Systems
» Smarter Supply Chains
» Next-Gen Buildings
Early-Bird Rates End Sep 20th -- Save 30%
Rolling Stones Pledge Carbon-Neutral U.K. Tour
During the band’s U.K. leg of the “Licks” tour, they teamed up with Future Forests, a European climate change business, and T-Mobile, the tour sponsors, to launch the Carbon Neutral Touring scheme. This enables musicians to take responsibility for their global warming impact and raise awareness among their fans.
The scheme measures emissions of carbon dioxide from any concert and offsets this by planting forests and investing in renewable energy. Factors taken into account include venue size, distance between gigs, and fan travel, which equates to a global average of 13 kilograms of carbon dioxide per fan.
Future Forests estimate that 90% of the emissions are created by the fans travel to the venue. To offset this, an extra 15 pence has been added to the price of each ticket. The company said that it takes one tree to offset the emissions from 57 fans.
This means that, to offset the emissions from the nine days in the U.K., where the Stones will play to 160,000 fans, more than 2,800 trees will be planted in forestry projects in Scotland.
A spokesperson for Future Forests said that their projects only use native species, such as oak, ash and beech, and are designed to be managed and maintained for a minimum of 99 years.
Brian McBride, managing director of T-Mobile, said: “We are proud to be the first operator to offset the environmental effects of an entire tour. Working alongside the biggest names in entertainment in an environmentally conscious manner, helps us to ensure that our customers get not only the best services, but that they are delivered in a socially responsible manner.”
You'll find strong evidence that green building has crossed a critical threshold, which begs the question of what comes next. Read more
Latest white papers from our sponsors:
- New Scope 2 Accounting Guidance: What it means for corporate decisions to purchase environmental instruments
- Energy Project Financing Cheat Sheet
- Addressing Transparency Expectations in the Metals and Mining Sector
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits & Upgrades
- Open Standards-Driven Wireless Building Energy Management
- Mack Technologies Achieves Unprecedented Wireless Control
- 14 Strategies to Save up to 70% in Energy Costs Using the Latest in Warehouse Lighting...and More
- Turning Title 24 Regulations into Smart Savings
- Unlocking ROI+: Understanding the Complete Return on Smart Building Investments
- Verifying Environmental Sustainability in the Electronics Marketplace
- A Benchmark Study of Current Practices and Tools for Sustainability
- Increasing Transparency of Environment and Health Claims for Cleaning Products
- How HP Achieves Leadership in Sustainable Product Footprinting at a Fraction of the Cost
- Creating Healthier Furniture and Building Materials by Minimizing Chemical Emissions
- Driving Performance and Transparency in Green Building Products
- Transparency and the Role of Environmental Product Declarations
- The Product Mindset
- Can You Save Millions with Sustainable Packaging Design?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Sustainability Software