IFC Launches Web-Based Private Sector Guide to Biodiversity
"Emerging markets hold the majority of the world's most significant biodiversity assets," said Richard Caines, Manager of IFC’s Environment and Social Development Knowledge & Innovation Group, responsible for the guide. “Through this guide, we aim to provide information that will contribute to a sustainable use of these resources by the private sector.”
The guide provides an overview of issues surrounding biodiversity, including its importance to society and the relationship of biodiversity to business. Through examples and links to other information, this Web-based tool helps businesses understand both how they can manage the business risks from biodiversity issues, and how they can capitalize on business opportunities, such as new markets, that are associated with biodiversity maintenance and protection.
The guide features sector-specific biodiversity issues for ten major industry sectors, as well as several case studies on how companies (including a number of IFC clients) have addressed biodiversity issues in their business operations.
A biogas process being used in Turkey reduces plant operations while providing potato farmers with more sustainable soil nutrients. Read more
The sixth annual edition of research has been expanded to include data on 1,600 companies worldwide, as well as on the U.S.-based S&P 500. Find out where the world of sustainable business is headed -- and the leading indicators of future progress.
Read the stories and download the report.
Latest white papers from our sponsors:
- Your Job, Your Employer and the Environment: A Survey of the American Worker 2013
- Selecting An EMIS Top 10
- EHS Management Information Systems (EMIS) - Getting Started
- EMIS Design
- Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Data Management in a Post Merger and Acquisition Environment
- E2's EMIS Return on Investment (ROI) Approach
- A Tactical and Practical Approach (TAPA) to Developing a Defensible and Manageable Sustainability Program
- Who Should Implement Your EMIS Software
- Why create an EMIS Strategic Plan?
- Automating Global Regulatory Compliance
- Build vs. Buy
- Why do I need a consultant to design my solution?
- CSR Game-Changers: ESG Metadata and Materiality Assessments
- Getting Materiality Right
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Sustainability Software