VERGE SF - Oct 27-30
» Distributed Energy Systems
» Smarter Supply Chains
» Next-Gen Buildings
Early-Bird Rates End Sep 20th -- Save 30%
New Tool Helps Reduce Business Trips' Footprint
The ICARUS Toolkit is part of the ITM's corporate social responsibility initiative, and contains corporate case studies highlighting successes in the use of video conferencing, ground transportation, and wider environmental activities.
ITM Executive Director Paul Tilstone said that the reaction from members and from the business travel industry to Project ICARUS had been tremendous. "There can be no bigger issue than CSR in our industry right now. The theme of [the 2007 ITM] conference is Responsible Travel Management, and we've already encouraged conference delegates to take responsibility for offsetting their own travel to and from the conference."
The ICARUS toolkit offers a four-step plan to creating a responsible business travel policy, including finding ways to reducing or eradicating business travel, as well as exploring the effectiveness of various carbon-offsetting programs.
As examples of companies that have adopted different approaches to mitigating their climate impact, the toolkit explores three case studies: Credit Suisse, Vodafone, and Unilever. Credit Suisse set a target of carbon neutrality by the year 2010, by more stringently evaluating the need for business travel, increasing videoconferencing, and encouraging rail travel over air travel. Vodafone's plan to reduce air travel resulted in a 20 percent decline in air travel, a drop attributed in part to videoconferencing. And Unilever's newly introduced plan to consolidate and improve its use of automobiles for transit could help trim its nearly $3 million yearly budget for cars and taxis.
The full toolkit is available online at ITM.org.uk.
You'll find strong evidence that green building has crossed a critical threshold, which begs the question of what comes next. Read more
Latest white papers from our sponsors:
- New Scope 2 Accounting Guidance: What it means for corporate decisions to purchase environmental instruments
- Energy Project Financing Cheat Sheet
- Addressing Transparency Expectations in the Metals and Mining Sector
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits & Upgrades
- Open Standards-Driven Wireless Building Energy Management
- Mack Technologies Achieves Unprecedented Wireless Control
- 14 Strategies to Save up to 70% in Energy Costs Using the Latest in Warehouse Lighting...and More
- Turning Title 24 Regulations into Smart Savings
- Unlocking ROI+: Understanding the Complete Return on Smart Building Investments
- Verifying Environmental Sustainability in the Electronics Marketplace
- A Benchmark Study of Current Practices and Tools for Sustainability
- Increasing Transparency of Environment and Health Claims for Cleaning Products
- How HP Achieves Leadership in Sustainable Product Footprinting at a Fraction of the Cost
- Creating Healthier Furniture and Building Materials by Minimizing Chemical Emissions
- Driving Performance and Transparency in Green Building Products
- Transparency and the Role of Environmental Product Declarations
- The Product Mindset
- Can You Save Millions with Sustainable Packaging Design?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Sustainability Software