VERGE SF - Oct 27-30
» Distributed Energy Systems
» Smarter Supply Chains
» Next-Gen Buildings
Early-Bird Rates End Sep 20th -- Save 30%
Verizon Heads for EPA WasteWise Hall of Fame
Verizon joined the EPA's voluntary program in 1994, and has since won nine awards.
But beyond the recognition, the communications company has saved some $16 million in purchasing costs by reducing waste. The company has also been able to turn the unwanted materials into revenue streams, such as $10 million in waste prevention revenue and more than $21 million in total recycling revenue.
To do this, Verizon allowed customers to recycle unused wireless phones and batteries at drop-off centers located in its retail stores. This yielded more than 900,000 wireless phones and accessories and 60,000 pounds of rechargeable batteries that were sent to local domestic violence agencies.
The company also handles about 70 million consumer bills online, rather than via paper bills. Verizon uses micro turbines fired by natural gas to generate about half of the electricity at two of its California offices, as well as powering down and removing obsolete network equipment in more than 400 facilities.
"We're honored to be inducted into the WasteWise Hall of Fame," said Dan Mead, president of Verizon Services Corp., which oversees many of the conservation efforts as part of managing real estate, supply chain and financial operations services across Verizon's three business groups. "Conservation is good business."
You'll find strong evidence that green building has crossed a critical threshold, which begs the question of what comes next. Read more
Latest white papers from our sponsors:
- New Scope 2 Accounting Guidance: What it means for corporate decisions to purchase environmental instruments
- Energy Project Financing Cheat Sheet
- Addressing Transparency Expectations in the Metals and Mining Sector
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits & Upgrades
- Open Standards-Driven Wireless Building Energy Management
- Mack Technologies Achieves Unprecedented Wireless Control
- 14 Strategies to Save up to 70% in Energy Costs Using the Latest in Warehouse Lighting...and More
- Turning Title 24 Regulations into Smart Savings
- Unlocking ROI+: Understanding the Complete Return on Smart Building Investments
- Verifying Environmental Sustainability in the Electronics Marketplace
- A Benchmark Study of Current Practices and Tools for Sustainability
- Increasing Transparency of Environment and Health Claims for Cleaning Products
- How HP Achieves Leadership in Sustainable Product Footprinting at a Fraction of the Cost
- Creating Healthier Furniture and Building Materials by Minimizing Chemical Emissions
- Driving Performance and Transparency in Green Building Products
- Transparency and the Role of Environmental Product Declarations
- The Product Mindset
- Can You Save Millions with Sustainable Packaging Design?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Sustainability Software