VERGE SF - Oct 27-30
» Distributed Energy Systems
» Smarter Supply Chains
» Next-Gen Buildings
Early-Bird Rates End Sep 20th -- Save 30%
Report: Green Investments Creating First Sustainable Economy
The Worldwatch Institute released "State of the World 2008: Innovations for a Sustainable Economy" this month, highlighting new economic opportunities and actions by governments and businesses to better the world.
In 2006, about $52 billion was invested in renewable energy, a 33 percent increase from 2005, and in 2007 that number jumped up again to an estimated $66 billion. The increase in eco-friendly investments continued with carbon trading. About $30 billion was pumped into carbon trading in 2006, three times the amount spent on it in 2005.
Within the last few years, 575 environment and energy hedge funds have been created, and only the Internet and biotechnology receive more venture capital than clean tech.
The report also highlights some business and government investments and savings. Citigroup plans to invest $50 billion in climate change effort, DuPont has saved $3 billion by cutting greenhouse gas emissions 72 percent below 1991 levels, and more private companies like Wal-Mart are embracing the need to analyze the environmental and social impacts of products and supply chains.
The report encourages continued investment in sustainable fields and a move away from destructive activities such as depleting non-renewable resources and unsustainable forest harvesting. Looking beyond the savings some companies have made with green investments, the report encourages the sustainable shift to better other countries. Almost 40 countries have seen a decline of 5 percent to 60 percent in wealth due to unsustainable practices taking place within their borders.
You'll find strong evidence that green building has crossed a critical threshold, which begs the question of what comes next. Read more
Latest white papers from our sponsors:
- New Scope 2 Accounting Guidance: What it means for corporate decisions to purchase environmental instruments
- Energy Project Financing Cheat Sheet
- Addressing Transparency Expectations in the Metals and Mining Sector
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits & Upgrades
- Open Standards-Driven Wireless Building Energy Management
- Mack Technologies Achieves Unprecedented Wireless Control
- 14 Strategies to Save up to 70% in Energy Costs Using the Latest in Warehouse Lighting...and More
- Turning Title 24 Regulations into Smart Savings
- Unlocking ROI+: Understanding the Complete Return on Smart Building Investments
- Verifying Environmental Sustainability in the Electronics Marketplace
- A Benchmark Study of Current Practices and Tools for Sustainability
- Increasing Transparency of Environment and Health Claims for Cleaning Products
- How HP Achieves Leadership in Sustainable Product Footprinting at a Fraction of the Cost
- Creating Healthier Furniture and Building Materials by Minimizing Chemical Emissions
- Driving Performance and Transparency in Green Building Products
- Transparency and the Role of Environmental Product Declarations
- The Product Mindset
- Can You Save Millions with Sustainable Packaging Design?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Sustainability Software