VERGE SF - Oct 27-30
» Distributed Energy Systems
» Smarter Supply Chains
» Next-Gen Buildings
Early-Bird Rates End Sep 20th -- Save 30%
Energy Dept. Gives Up Plan to Build Clean-Coal Power Plant
At the time of the announcement on Wednesday, the facility was estimated to cost $1.8 billion, and DoE said the costs had doubled since it was originally conceived.
Rather than pour funds into the single FutureGen site in Mattoon, energy secretary Samuel Bodman said his department would explore ways of developing clean-coal and carbon sequestration (CCS) technologies in multiple sites around the country.
The announcement was predictably not well received among Illinois officials and leaders of the companies behind the FutureGen plant.
"We feel that [Energy Secretary Sam Bodman] misled us and the people of Illinois, creating false hope in a FutureGen project which he had no intention of funding or supporting," Illinois lawmakers including Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin wrote in a letter to President George W. Bush.
The FutureGen Alliance, made up of about a dozen international energy companies, also released a "fact check" to Bodman's announcement, stating in part that the DoE's share of the plant has not doubled, but rather only increased from $800M to $1.1B, and that the alternative plan, centered around multiple CCS facilities, would end up sequestering less carbon than the Mattoon plant.
The Energy Department said it would consider four total sites -- two in Texas and two in Illinois, including the Mattoon site -- as possible hosts for the new projects. The FutureGen Alliance said it remained committed to the Mattoon site.
You'll find strong evidence that green building has crossed a critical threshold, which begs the question of what comes next. Read more
Latest white papers from our sponsors:
- New Scope 2 Accounting Guidance: What it means for corporate decisions to purchase environmental instruments
- Energy Project Financing Cheat Sheet
- Addressing Transparency Expectations in the Metals and Mining Sector
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits & Upgrades
- Open Standards-Driven Wireless Building Energy Management
- Mack Technologies Achieves Unprecedented Wireless Control
- 14 Strategies to Save up to 70% in Energy Costs Using the Latest in Warehouse Lighting...and More
- Turning Title 24 Regulations into Smart Savings
- Unlocking ROI+: Understanding the Complete Return on Smart Building Investments
- Verifying Environmental Sustainability in the Electronics Marketplace
- A Benchmark Study of Current Practices and Tools for Sustainability
- Increasing Transparency of Environment and Health Claims for Cleaning Products
- How HP Achieves Leadership in Sustainable Product Footprinting at a Fraction of the Cost
- Creating Healthier Furniture and Building Materials by Minimizing Chemical Emissions
- Driving Performance and Transparency in Green Building Products
- Transparency and the Role of Environmental Product Declarations
- The Product Mindset
- Can You Save Millions with Sustainable Packaging Design?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Sustainability Software