VERGE SF - Oct 27-30
» Distributed Energy Systems
» Smarter Supply Chains
» Next-Gen Buildings
Early-Bird Rates End Sep 20th -- Save 30%
Staples Fires Paper Supplier with Questionable Green Track Record
Until late last month, Asia Pulp and Paper (APP) supplied Staples with between 5 and 9 percent of its total paper supply. According to Reuters, Staples stopped doing business with APP because there was no indication the company was making progress in protecting the environment.
Other companies in the U.S., Europe and Asia also have severed business relations with APP, the Wall Street Journal reported. Remaining an APP customer was "at great peril to our brand," Mark Buckley, Staples' vice president of environmental issues, told the Wall Street Journal.
"We decided engagement was not possible anymore," Buckley told the Journal. "We haven't seen any indication that APP has been making any positive strides" to protect the environment.
Greenpeace has accused APP, one of the world's largest paper companies, of illegal logging in Chinese forests. APP had also been accused of illegal logging in Indonesia, which APP denied.
You'll find strong evidence that green building has crossed a critical threshold, which begs the question of what comes next. Read more
Latest white papers from our sponsors:
- New Scope 2 Accounting Guidance: What it means for corporate decisions to purchase environmental instruments
- Energy Project Financing Cheat Sheet
- Addressing Transparency Expectations in the Metals and Mining Sector
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits & Upgrades
- Open Standards-Driven Wireless Building Energy Management
- Mack Technologies Achieves Unprecedented Wireless Control
- 14 Strategies to Save up to 70% in Energy Costs Using the Latest in Warehouse Lighting...and More
- Turning Title 24 Regulations into Smart Savings
- Unlocking ROI+: Understanding the Complete Return on Smart Building Investments
- Verifying Environmental Sustainability in the Electronics Marketplace
- A Benchmark Study of Current Practices and Tools for Sustainability
- Increasing Transparency of Environment and Health Claims for Cleaning Products
- How HP Achieves Leadership in Sustainable Product Footprinting at a Fraction of the Cost
- Creating Healthier Furniture and Building Materials by Minimizing Chemical Emissions
- Driving Performance and Transparency in Green Building Products
- Transparency and the Role of Environmental Product Declarations
- The Product Mindset
- Can You Save Millions with Sustainable Packaging Design?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Sustainability Software