DHL to Cut Emissions by 30 Percent by 2020
The plan includes a large-scale overhaul of the group's transport fleet, staff training and energy-efficient buildings. It will include an expansion of the Deutsche Post World Net's GoGreen carbon-offset shipping service and see the DHL Neutral Services offer consulting to other companies that want to reduce their carbon footprints.
The plan will take the group’s 2007 emissions as its datum point and also applies to DHL’s subcontractors.
"As the leading logistics provider ... we acknowledge our broader responsibility in the battle against climate change," said Deutsche Post World Net Chairman and Chief Executive Frank Appel. "Our GoGreen program will help us be the obvious first choice for customers who seek climate-friendly logistics."
Under the scheme, DHL will replace about 90 percent of its aircraft fleet with more fuel-efficient planes. It will also replace many of its existing vehicle fleet with hybrids, introduce route-planning software geared towards fuel-saving and train drivers in energy-saving techniques.
DHL’s depots and offices will be fitted with environmental controls to make them more energy efficient, and all 500,000 staff will be part of an awareness campaign to encourage them to reduce their carbon footprint at work and at home.
Monitoring the scheme will involve assessing, reducing and offsetting emissions. To measure its carbon footprint on a regular basis and publish the results, Deutsche Post World Net will set up a comprehensive carbon-accounting system. Each division has identified a number of business-specific measures to reduce carbon emissions that will be implemented in the coming months and years.
This article originally appeared at BusinessGreen.com.
A biogas process being used in Turkey reduces plant operations while providing potato farmers with more sustainable soil nutrients. Read more
The sixth annual edition of research has been expanded to include data on 1,600 companies worldwide, as well as on the U.S.-based S&P 500. Find out where the world of sustainable business is headed -- and the leading indicators of future progress.
Read the stories and download the report.
Latest white papers from our sponsors:
- Your Job, Your Employer and the Environment: A Survey of the American Worker 2013
- Selecting An EMIS Top 10
- EHS Management Information Systems (EMIS) - Getting Started
- EMIS Design
- Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Data Management in a Post Merger and Acquisition Environment
- E2's EMIS Return on Investment (ROI) Approach
- A Tactical and Practical Approach (TAPA) to Developing a Defensible and Manageable Sustainability Program
- Who Should Implement Your EMIS Software
- Why create an EMIS Strategic Plan?
- Automating Global Regulatory Compliance
- Build vs. Buy
- Why do I need a consultant to design my solution?
- CSR Game-Changers: ESG Metadata and Materiality Assessments
- Getting Materiality Right
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Sustainability Software