LED University Gives Lessons on Efficient Lighting
North Carolina State University, the first to sign up with the initiative, has installed recessed LED lighting in a dorm and chancellor's office and is putting in LED lighting in parking garages. The university reports LED lighting in the dorm has cut energy use by 66 percent so far.
The other initial universities to join the program are Marquette University, University of California-Santa Barbara, University of Arkansas and Tianjin Polytechnic University in China.
Completed or planned LED projects at the universities include lighting in campus buildings and on streets. University of Arkansas plans to eventually install 1,700 LED lights throughout its buildings, and Tianjin Polytechnic has put up 1,500 LED streetlights designed by graduate students.
The universities will calculate cost and environmental savings from the switch to LEDs, which use less energy than conventional lighting, require less maintenance and are boasted as providing better lighting.
A biogas process being used in Turkey reduces plant operations while providing potato farmers with more sustainable soil nutrients. Read more
The sixth annual edition of research has been expanded to include data on 1,600 companies worldwide, as well as on the U.S.-based S&P 500. Find out where the world of sustainable business is headed -- and the leading indicators of future progress.
Read the stories and download the report.
Latest white papers from our sponsors:
- Your Job, Your Employer and the Environment: A Survey of the American Worker 2013
- Selecting An EMIS Top 10
- EHS Management Information Systems (EMIS) - Getting Started
- EMIS Design
- Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Data Management in a Post Merger and Acquisition Environment
- E2's EMIS Return on Investment (ROI) Approach
- A Tactical and Practical Approach (TAPA) to Developing a Defensible and Manageable Sustainability Program
- Who Should Implement Your EMIS Software
- Why create an EMIS Strategic Plan?
- Automating Global Regulatory Compliance
- Build vs. Buy
- Why do I need a consultant to design my solution?
- CSR Game-Changers: ESG Metadata and Materiality Assessments
- Getting Materiality Right
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Sustainability Software