U.K. Greenwash Complaints Quadrupled in 2007
Out of 24,192 total complaints about 14,080 ads the UK's Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) received last year, 561 were about 410 ads that made environmental claims. In 2006 there were 117 complaints for 83 green ads. And so far this year 109 complaints have identified 59 green ads as misleading, the Guardian reported.
In its 2007 annual report, the ASA says consumers were most confused about ads for carbon emission claims and green tariffs as well as green terms like sustainable and food miles. Consumers said they typically did not read the fine print or explanatory text in ads.
In the past year, the ASA has ruled against several green ads. A Shell ad depicting flowers coming from industrial smokestacks was ruled misleading for misrepresented the company's global environmental impact. A Lexus ad was deemed misleading for including the phrase "High Performance. Low Emissions. Zero Guilt." The ASA ruled the ad implied the vehicle caused little or no harm to environment and the ad's fine print was not prominent enough.
A biogas process being used in Turkey reduces plant operations while providing potato farmers with more sustainable soil nutrients. Read more
The sixth annual edition of research has been expanded to include data on 1,600 companies worldwide, as well as on the U.S.-based S&P 500. Find out where the world of sustainable business is headed -- and the leading indicators of future progress.
Read the stories and download the report.
Latest white papers from our sponsors:
- Your Job, Your Employer and the Environment: A Survey of the American Worker 2013
- Selecting An EMIS Top 10
- EHS Management Information Systems (EMIS) - Getting Started
- EMIS Design
- Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Data Management in a Post Merger and Acquisition Environment
- E2's EMIS Return on Investment (ROI) Approach
- A Tactical and Practical Approach (TAPA) to Developing a Defensible and Manageable Sustainability Program
- Who Should Implement Your EMIS Software
- Why create an EMIS Strategic Plan?
- Automating Global Regulatory Compliance
- Build vs. Buy
- Why do I need a consultant to design my solution?
- CSR Game-Changers: ESG Metadata and Materiality Assessments
- Getting Materiality Right
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Sustainability Software