Episode 116: Former EPA chief Gina McCarthy is optimistic, drones meet clean energy
On this week's episode, a hopeful perspective on the potential for meaningful, grassroots climate action and why automated, flying robots could reduce the cost of wind and solar power.
Week in Review
Tune in around 9:10 for a weekly roundup of news.
- Here’s what would drive even more electric buses into U.S. cities
- Why business needs women to lead on the SDGs
- Here’s how to use your company’s most powerful tool to change the world
1. McCarthy's mantra: Go grassroots (25:45)
Worried about the Trump administration's master plan to dismantle or at least dilute federal environmental regulations on clean water, chemicals, emissions, energy efficiency — and everything in between? The mastermind of the Obama administration's Clean Power Plan explains which she's actually feeling positive about the state, local and corporate support for a low-carbon economy. Plus, why she wants companies to be more transparent about their progress.
Many of us still think of drones as personal gadgets, but this technology will also have an enormous impact in the corporate world. Indeed, there are numerous applications already being evaluated in the power sector — in particular, for handling and automating various maintenance tasks. A discussion about what's taking flight.
What's new at GreenBiz?
News, events, webcasts — the list goes on. Keep your finger on the pulse of the latest in sustainability by keeping up with GreenBiz.
• Looking to change up your career? GreenBiz is hiring, and you can check out all the open positions here.
• As demand for bottled water continues to grow and the expectations of communities and consumers change, so too must the processes used to source new spring water resources. Don't miss our webcast, "A #CommunityFirst Approach to Water Stewardship," which will discuss why corporate water stewardship — or indeed, the stewardship of any natural resource — is inextricably linked to community engagement and partnership. Register here for free for the webcast at 1 p.m. EDT/10 a.m. PDT March 27.
• Check out Center Stage, which features the best of live interviews on sustainable business and clean technology, conducted on stage at GreenBiz and VERGE conferences.
To make sure you don't miss the newest episodes of GreenBiz 350, subscribe on iTunes.
Have a question or suggestion for a future segment? E-mail us at [email protected].