Episode 117: Chip pioneer T.J. Rodgers cultivates 'Internet of plants'; IBM's weather cloud
Week in Review
Tune in around 4:55 for a weekly roundup of news.
1. Chip pioneer T.J. Rodgers talks up the "Internet of Plants" (20:03)
Best-known for his role in co-founding Cypress Semiconductor back in the early 1980s, electrical engineer T.J. Rodgers is also credited with numerous inventions that apply specifically to smart irrigation approaches he has used for years to cultivate his vineyards in the Santa Cruz Mountains of California. Those developments are now part of a system sold by WaterBit, a technology startup that use solar-powered sensors to automate irrigation schedules.
2. Forum for the Future CEO Sally Uren on embracing systemic change (27:45)
"Tinkering around the edges" and "Band-aiding solutions" won't work if the world wants to deliver on the Sustainable Development Goals. Sally Uren shares her formula for disrupting the status quo.
3. IBM's forecast for a more predictive, responsive grid (34:15)
We catch up with Lloyd Treinish, a distinguished engineer at the Thomas J. Watson Research Center. On our minds: how data analytics can minimize the impact of extreme weather. Plus, the role of technology in tracking climate changes impacts in real time.
What's new at GreenBiz?
News, events, webcasts — the list goes on. Keep your finger on the pulse of the latest in sustainability by keeping up with GreenBiz.
• Looking to change up your career? GreenBiz is hiring, and you can check out all the open positions here.
• As demand for bottled water continues to grow and the expectations of communities and consumers change, so too must the processes used to source new spring water resources. Don't miss our webcast, "A #CommunityFirst Approach to Water Stewardship," which will discuss why corporate water stewardship — or indeed, the stewardship of any natural resource — is inextricably linked to community engagement and partnership. Register here for free for the webcast at 1 p.m. EDT/10 a.m. PDT March 27.
• Check out Center Stage, which features the best of live interviews on sustainable business and clean technology, conducted on stage at GreenBiz and VERGE conferences.
To make sure you don't miss the newest episodes of GreenBiz 350, subscribe on iTunes.
Have a question or suggestion for a future segment? E-mail us at [email protected].