Episode 127: The 30 Under 30 speak, 'recommerce' is becoming a thing
Week in Review
Tune in around 5:00 for a weekly roundup of news.
- Here’s what could accelerate Hawaii’s transition to 100 percent renewables
- Puerto Rico sets the stage for microgrids
- Where are they now? A status report on previous 30 Under 30s
Meet three of the 2018 GreenBiz 30 Under 30 (16:30)
This week marks the third anniversary of the GreenBiz 30 Under 30 list, which annually recognizes inspiring young leaders who are demonstrating the world-changing promise of sustainability in their everyday work. This section features perspective from Hayley Cashdollar, manager of automation and power systems for electric bus maker Proterra; Joseph Gale, aviation environmental specialist with consulting firm RS&H; and Kayla Fenton, senior program manager for sustainability at Amazon.
How Patagonia, REI and Eileen Fisher support 'recommerce' (21:18)
Yerdle was launched six years ago as a mashup of eBay and Facebook, a place to find and exchange underused goods such as ski boots, kitchen appliances or baby clothes. Now, the company is recasting itself as an enabler of "recommerce" for product companies — some of its first customers are Eileen Fisher, Patagonia and REI. Yerdle CEO Andy Ruben speaks with GreenBiz about the new model.
Another trio from our 2018 GreenBiz 30 Under 30 list (31:45)
In this second segment, we hear from Dana Hou, co-founder of Chinese drone services company FarmFriend; Kumar Jensen, sustainability coordinator for the city of Evanston, Illinois; and Willemijn Brouwer, sustainability engagement and learning officer for life sciences and materials giant Royal DSM.
Creative ways to issue a sustainability report (38:32)
Tis the season for issuing annual (or somewhat annual) corporate sustainability reports. What's the most effective way to share progress about environmental, social and governance (ESG) policies and risks? How are innovative companies adapting the way they tell their stories? Christina Forst, senior director of communications for analytics advisory firm Framework, suggests some best practices and ways that companies can create strategic advantage by integrating ESG disclosures more tightly with their broader messaging.
What's new at GreenBiz?
News, events, webcasts — the list goes on. Keep your finger on the pulse of the latest in sustainability by keeping up with GreenBiz.
• Join us in Honolulu at VERGE Hawaii from June 12 to 14 to hobnob with major energy, transportation and economic stakeholders across the state and dive deep into technical, political and cultural solutions. Can't be there in person? Watch any or all of our mainstage sessions — featuring high-profile speakers such as Hawaii Gov. David Ige and Hawaiian Airlines CEO Peter Ingram — by registering for the virtual event.
• Looking to change up your career? GreenBiz is hiring, and you can check out all the open positions here.
• Check out Center Stage, which features the best of live interviews on sustainable business and clean technology, conducted on stage at GreenBiz and VERGE conferences.
To make sure you don't miss the newest episodes of GreenBiz 350, subscribe on iTunes.
Have a question or suggestion for a future segment? E-mail us at [email protected].