Episode 133: Calling all change agents, valuing total impact
Week in Review
Tune in around 6:20 for a roundup of news.
Rise up, clean economy entrepreneurs (15:25)
Danny Kennedy, managing director of the California Clean Energy Fund (CalCEF), speaks with us about the movement to involve more entrepreneurs, investors and startup incubators in nurturing solutions for the clean economy. Called the Speedwell Call to Action, the petition urges governments to reaffirm policies that accelerate clean energy while "reversing perverse subsidies to fossil fuels."
When will 'total impact valuation' catch on? (23:42)
Over the past decade, The Conference Board — the 100-year-old business leadership organization created to address workplace safety, equity and labor issues — has deepened its research on what it will take for companies to embed sustainability business practices more deeply into their day-to-day operations. In this segment, principal researcher Thomas Singer talks about the group's new report on "total impact valuation" and which companies are embracing the idea of embedding environmental and social factors more deeply into the way they report on risks and opportunities.
What's new at GreenBiz?
News, events, webcasts — the list goes on. Keep your finger on the pulse of the latest in sustainability by keeping up with GreenBiz.
• No buyers' remorse here. Don't miss our free upcoming webcast at 1 p.m. EDT Aug. 21, "The Next Frontier: Emerging Models in Renewable Energy Procurement." Our speakers include experts from Rocky Mountain Institute Business Renewables Center and LevelTen Energy and clean power strategist from AT&T and Iron Mountain.
• Calling all clean economy visionaries. Nominations are open for the inaugural VERGE Vanguard Awards, highlighting the dreamers, pioneers, entrepreneurs, designers, engineers, business leaders, policymakers and investors on the cutting edge of an equitable, inclusive transition to a clean power grid, a zero-emissions transportation system and the circular economy. Suggest someone worthy of recognition by our Aug. 3 deadline.
• How fast is your pitch? Entrepreneurs are encouraged to apply for VERGE Accelerate, a series of fast-pitch competitions that take place on the main stage of VERGE 18. This year, we're featuring three sessions highlighting innovators in clean energy, transportation and the circular economy. The deadline to apply is July 30.
• We've launched a new daily newsletter lineup! Monday's GreenBuzz and Wednesday's VERGE Weekly are essentially unchanged. But the lineup now includes: Transport Weekly (Tuesday), Energy Weekly (Thursday) and Circular Weekly (Friday). You must subscribe to each newsletter in order to receive it. Please visit this page to choose the newsletters you want to receive.
• Check out Center Stage, which features the best of live interviews on sustainable business and clean technology, conducted on stage at GreenBiz and VERGE conferences.
To make sure you don't miss the newest episodes of GreenBiz 350, subscribe on iTunes.
Have a question or suggestion for a future segment? E-mail us at [email protected].