Episode 138: Clean energy careers, bold missions from Mars, Facebook
Week in Review
Tune in around 5:00 for a roundup of news.
- Facebook gets specific about its 100 percent renewables target
- ‘Clean tax cuts’ and the global free market for plastic solutions
- Inside Mars’ meaningful, material approaches to water stewardship
What's next for power markets? (15:24)
Peter Kelly-Detwiler, co-founder of consulting firm Northbridge Energy Partners, shares insights on wholesale energy markets, the furious adoption curve for lithium-ion batteries and why change is a constant when it comes to the electric grid. What you can expect from his upcoming "Power Markets and Innovation 101" workshop, which will be featured at VERGE 18.
The career potential of the clean economy (22:28)
A 2018 report from National Association of State Energy Officials and the Energy Futures Initiative estimates that 3.2 million Americans work in wind, solar, energy efficiency — that's three times the number working in the fossil fuel industry. How can companies help turn those jobs into long-term careers? GreenBiz Director of Research Paul Carp points up the training gaps and emerging workforce development initiatives meant to address them.
An equitable power transition (28:34)
Repowering the U.S. grid with clean energy — power that's available to every person, regardless of race or income level — is the core mission of advocacy organization Vote Solar. In this segment, GreenBiz Executive Editor Joel Makower chats about the group's latest research and roadmap for change with Melanie Santiago-Mosier, program director of access and equity.
Go on, challenge your perspective (37:00)
What can a military resilience specialist learn from a supply chain executive worried about labor issues and sustainable sourcing? We catch up with Elaine Hsieh, program director for the VERGE 18 conference series, about the topics that will be top of mind at our next event in mid-October. A moment of self-promotion: If you’re looking to learn from and connect with other ambitious leaders and innovators working on catalytic climate solutions, join us in October in Oakland, California. Our Early Bird Rate expires Sept. 21, so be sure to register soon to get the 30 percent discount.
What's new at GreenBiz?
News, events, webcasts — the list goes on. Keep your finger on the pulse of the latest in sustainability by keeping up with GreenBiz.
• We've launched a new daily newsletter lineup! Monday's GreenBuzz and Wednesday's VERGE Weekly are essentially unchanged. But the lineup includes: Transport Weekly (Tuesday), Energy Weekly (Thursday) and Circular Weekly (Friday). You must subscribe to each newsletter in order to receive it. Please visit this page to choose the newsletters you want to receive.
• Check out our Center Stage podcast, which features the best of live interviews on sustainable business and clean technology, conducted on stage at GreenBiz and VERGE conferences.
To make sure you don't miss the newest episodes of GreenBiz 350, subscribe on iTunes.
Have a question or suggestion for a future segment? E-mail us at [email protected].