Episode 146: Leadership tips from Warriors coach Kerr, thoughts on measuring circularity
Week in Review
Tune in around 4:55 for a roundup of news.
- How Novozymes harnesses the sustainability superpower of enzymes
- Meet Lyft’s first head of social impact and its first sustainability director
- 6 key takeaways from VERGE 18
Insights and inspiration from VERGE 18 (15:15)
GreenBiz Executive Editor Joel Makower shares some of his favorite moments from the mainstage. This segment features commentary on carbon removal from Kate Gordon, advisor to the Paulson Institute and partner with the sustainability team at investment firm RIDGE-LANE; the link between innovation and the circular economy by Nike vice president Cyrus Wadia; and leadership advice from Steve Kerr, head coach of the champion Golden State Warriors basketball team.
Talking transportation transition (30:58)
Ridesharing. Public transit. E-scooters. New high-speed alternatives to railways and highways. Those were just some of the themes explored during the VERGE 18 Transport conference, programmed by GreenBiz senior analyst Katie Fehrenbacher. Highlights include this commentary from Robin Chase, founder of Zipcar and champion of the evolving Shared Mobility Principles, and Gabe Klein, former transportation commissioner for Chicago and Washington, D.C.
The quest to measure circularity (38:08)
How do life-cycle assessments differ from frameworks to measure a product's circularity credentials? That was the subject of this week's GreenBiz webcast, "Measuring Circularity: Why Life-Cycle Assessment is Not the Right Tool." An archived edition of the event is here. For some high-level perspective, we offer these comments from Bill Hoffman, senior scientist at UL Environment, and David Rakowski, managing consultant with PA Consulting Group.
SPONSORED: What does sustainability mean to the beef industry? (46:20)
An interview with Sara Place, senior director, sustainable beef production research, at the National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA), a contractor to the Beef Checkoff Program.
What's new at GreenBiz?
News, events, webcasts — the list goes on. Keep your finger on the pulse of the latest in sustainability by keeping up with GreenBiz.
• A helping (solar) hand. This upcoming one-hour webcast — "Powering Inclusion Through Solar Handprints: An Innovative Partnership" — will explore an initiative spearheaded by flooring manufacturer Mohawk Industries in collaboration with nonprofit Groundswell to bring clean power to underserved communities. You'll learn more about how this relationship aligns environmental stewardship with social equity. Register for the free, interactive session at 1 PM EST Oct. 30.
• Do we have a newsletter for you! Monday's GreenBuzz and Wednesday's VERGE Weekly are essentially unchanged. But the lineup includes Transport Weekly (Tuesday), Energy Weekly (Thursday) and Circular Weekly (Friday). You must subscribe to each newsletter in order to receive it. Please visit this page to choose the newsletters you want to receive.
• Check out our Center Stage podcast, which features the best of live interviews on sustainable business and clean technology, conducted on stage at GreenBiz and VERGE conferences.
To make sure you don't miss the newest episodes of GreenBiz 350, subscribe on iTunes.
Have a question or suggestion for a future segment? E-mail us at [email protected]nbiz.com.