Episode 207: Levi Strauss and corporate philanthropy, how to talk to CFOs
Week in Review
Commentary on this week's news highlights begins at 4:45.
- On the money: 8 takeaways from the 2020 GreenFin Summit
- The protein transformation: hyperbole or reality?
- Conserving and restoring forests won’t be cheap and easy after all
GreenBiz 20 Highlights
Highlights from the plenary sessions at the GreenBiz 20 conference in Scottsdale, Arizona, begin at 20:38.
- Ruth Kimmelshue, business operations and supply chain, chief sustainability officer at Cargill, on falling short on deforestation (21:31).
- Daniel Lee, executive director of the Levi Strauss Foundation, on the philosophy of "brands taking stands" in the era of President Trump (22:50).
- Doug Baker, chief executive of water, energy and services company Ecolab, on how environmental, social and governance issues shape the company's high-level conversations with investors (26:51).
- Jim Fitterling, chief executive of Dow, shares his hopes for his legacy at the materials giant (33:20).
- Brian Mecinas, advocacy director for the Arizona Youth Climate Strike, answers the question: "What is your ask of the business community and adults in general?" (34:44)
Finnish company Neste is the world's largest producer of renewable diesel. Katie Fehrenbacher, senior writer and analyst for transportation, shares outtakes from her interview the company's U.S. division president, Jeremy Baines.
What's new at GreenBiz?
How does your community garden grow? Learn how to create a purpose-driven initiative that weaves together corporate, employee engagement and philanthropic ambitions. Register for this interactive session at 10 a.m. Pacific/1 p.m. EST Feb. 18.
What it will take to fix recycling. The role brands should play in reinvigorating consumer recycling is a matter of fierce debate. In this interactive webcast at 1 p.m. EST Feb. 25, our subject matter experts will investigate what companies doing and lessons learned along the way.
The State of Green Business 2020. Our 13th annual analysis of key metrics and trends for the year ahead published here.
Do we have a newsletter for you! We produce five weekly newsletters: GreenBuzz by Executive Editor Joel Makower (Monday), Transport Weekly by Senior Writer and Analyst Katie Fehrenbacher (Tuesday), VERGE Weekly by Executive Director Shana Rappaport and Editorial Director Heather Clancy (Wednesday), Energy Weekly by Senior Energy Analyst Sarah Golden (Thursday) and Circular Weekly by Director and Senior Analyst Lauren Phipps (Friday). You must subscribe to each newsletter in order to receive it. Please visit this page to choose the newsletters you want to receive.
The GreenBiz Intelligence Panel is the survey body we poll regularly throughout the year on key trends and developments in sustainability. To become part of the panel, click here. Enrolling is free and should take two minutes.