Episode 88: Salesforce opts into SuperGreen; RE100 surfs change
In this week's episode: Climate change's $535 trillion debt; connecting health and human capital; does "An Inconvenient Sequel" live up to the hype?
Download: iTunes & Soundcloud
Week in Review
Tune in around 12:35 for a weekly roundup of news.
An in-depth look at stories changing the game for green business.
1. Green Bronx Machine cooks up healthy, happy communities (26:20)
Something is blooming in the U.S.'s poorest, most crime-ridden congressional district: A school gardening program. Here, Associate Editor Anya Khalamayzer interviews Stephen Ritz, founder of Green Bronx Machine, about how, first-hand, he teaches students to pull themselves out of the Bronx's "food swamp" while helping them gain self-confidence and respect for Mother Nature. Read more of his powerful story in "How an urban school's gardening project healed a community," an excerpt from Ritz's new book, "The Power of a Plant."
3. VERGE Accelerate Showcase (46:40)
A cornerstone of VERGE events since 2013, the VERGE Accelerate program gives early-stage cleantech and sustainability entrepreneurs the opportunity to pitch from our main stage to a live audience of potential partners. Shana Rappaport, our director of strategic programs, discusses the 14 pitch-perfect finalists for VERGE 17.
What's new at GreenBiz?
News, events, webcasts — the list goes on. Keep your finger on the pulse of the latest in sustainability by keeping up with GreenBiz.
• Join us for VERGE 17 in Santa Clara, California from Sept. 19 to 21. If you aren't able to attend in person, there will be an opportunity to sign up for the free virtual event covering the latest technologies, tools and trends accelerating the clean economy.
• Learn how the dynamics and demographics around recycling are changing along with the workforce. Municipalities, retailers, manufacturers and stewardship organizations will want to tune into our free webcast, "Changing Behaviors in Consumer Recycling: What Businesses Need to Know," at 1 p.m. EST, Aug. 22.
• The GreenBiz Intelligence Panel is the survey body we poll regularly throughout the year on key trends and developments in sustainability. To become part of the panel, click here. Enrolling is free and should take two minutes.
To make sure you don't miss the newest episodes of GreenBiz 350, subscribe on iTunes.
Have a question or suggestion for a future segment? E-mail us at [email protected].
Technical direction for GreenBiz 350 by Stephanie May Joyce.