'Zoom-Zoom': Mazda speeds towards 2030 electric future

Mazda and electric future
ShutterstockGreenBiz Collage

Japanese auto giant Mazda has become the latest carmaker to shift its business model towards a low-emission future, announcing plans last week to electrify its entire product range by 2030.

Mazda said that by 2030 it is aiming for 95 percent of its vehicles to be running on a hybrid powertrain, with the remaining 5 percent powered by pure battery electric, as part of its "Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030" strategy.

The first electric vehicles in the new fleet will be launched in 2020. One will be fully electric and the other will pair a battery with a range extender powered via a "quiet rotary engine."

Under the new plan, Mazda wants to cut its "Well to Wheel" CO2 emissions to 50 percent below 2010 levels by 2030 and 90 percent by 2050. To hit the goal, the carmaker said it is not only investing in electric and hydrogen technologies but is also investigating the potential of biofuels including those produced from microalgae.

As carmakers increasingly focus their efforts on developing new electric models, corporates are similarly preparing for all-electric fleets. 

At New York Climate Week two weeks ago, Bank of America became the latest business to join the Climate Group's EV100 campaign, promising to install additional EV charging infrastructure for electric cars, on top of the 100 charging points it already has installed in the United States and United Kingdom.

"Bank of America is proud to sign onto the EV100 initiative... as an extension of our efforts to drive toward a low-carbon, sustainable economy," said Alex Liftman, global environmental executive at the bank.

This story first appeared on: