Ernst & Young look at the many ways sustainability efforts are changing the jobs of chief financial officers, and also how current CFO expertise can assist some sustainability work.
The report concludes with five actions CFOs can take to enhance corporate value through sustainability:
• Actively pursue a sustainability and reporting program.
• Ensure that those responsible for sustainability matters do not operate in isolation from the rest of the enterprise — especially the finance function.
• Enhance dialogue with shareholders and improve disclosure in key areas, particularly those related to social and environmental issues.
• Ensure that directors' skills are relevant to the chief areas of stakeholder concern, including risk management tied to social and environmental matters.
• Consider using nontraditional performance metrics, including those related to environmental/sustainability issues.