Overview: VERGE focuses on the technologies and systems that accelerate sustainability solutions across sectors in a climate-constrained world. This global event series convenes the ecosystem of leading players working to turn the promise of sustainability into tangible opportunities for business, the environment, and society.
VERGE Hawaii: Asia Pacific Clean Energy Summit is a special VERGE event developed in partnership with Hawaii's State Energy Office to help the state accelerate solutions toward fulfilling their mandate of 100% renewable energy in the electricity sector by 2045. To this end, we are looking for the key people, ideas and technologies that will enable the state of Hawaii to deliver on this bold clean energy mandate.
Audience: Participants come from a broad range of sectors and job functions, including buildings and facilities, fleets, IT, energy, sustainability, strategy, policymakers and the public sector. More specifically, our VERGE Hawaii audience includes government and military officials, utilities, corporate energy buyers and facility execs, real estate portfolio managers, transportation planners, solution providers and tech innovators, and leaders from NGOs, research and academia — from the Islands, the Mainland, Asia and beyond.
Program: We're looking for inspiring speakers who will lead solutions-focused, outcomes-based sessions that are interactive, thought-provoking and inclusive of the diverse energy stakeholders we convene. VERGE Hawaii will explore innovative clean energy policies, models, technologies and infrastructure and identify immediate actions needed to deliver on Hawaii's mandate. VERGE also serves as a platform for Hawaii's energy leaders and stakeholders from around the world to engage, learn and contribute.
While we are open to the best ideas and case studies relevant to the event's focus, we are particularly interested in showcasing solutions addressing such questions as:
- What policies, plans, models and regulatory support are needed to transition to a clean economy?
- What immediate actions are needed to set the mandate on a path to success?
- What is the optimal mix of energy resources and infrastructure improvements, and what investment will be required?
- What are the technical challenges associated with achieving 100% renewables and which solutions can be integrated and scaled effectively?
- How can meaningful collaboration be encouraged across government, utilities, refineries, technology companies, corporate energy buyers, communities and capital markets?
- How to ensure inclusive resident participation, including low-income and rural communities?
- What can island nations, the mainland U.S., Asia-Pacific and other regions learn from Hawaii? How can they contribute to Hawaii’s success?
VERGE promises fresh perspectives on the innovative ideas and enabling technologies shaping our future. We are accepting proposals for the following types of session formats:
- VERGE Talks — Individual, 10-minute stand-and-deliver presentations (à la TED Talks) by innovators sharing a breakthrough, achievement or other “great idea” that is as inspiring as it is informative.
- Technical Tutorials (or “How To’s”) — 1-3 hour in-depth “how-to” sessions, presented by technical experts, addressing operational challenges and innovative products and solutions to build the clean economy.
- Case Studies (or “Stories from the Field”) — 1-hour deep dives around specific case studies where multiple speakers (representing the ecosystem involved) discuss their real-life experiences in solving specific challenges.
- General Breakouts — 1-2 hour exploratory sessions focused on expansive topics in policy, trends and innovation. Speakers reflect a range of perspectives and are experts in their respective fields.
- Interactive Workshops — 1-3 hour participatory workshops that surface key insights by leveraging the collective intelligence of those in the room. This is the most open, flexible format.
What we are looking for: VERGE isn’t your typical event of talking heads. Especially when it comes to afternoon breakouts, we prioritize those that are:
- Solutions-focused and outcomes based — and leave participants with clear, actionable insights
- Participatory — integrate into the session design meaningful opportunities for audience interaction with one another and the speakers
- Diverse — accurately represent the diverse perspectives and people working across sectors on the topic being discussed
- Convergent — build on the VERGE theme of convergence, not just exploring one topic in isolation
In 2017, we will be curating more exploratory, interactive, outcomes-based sessions than ever before; and ensuring the inclusion of diverse stakeholders with important perspectives who are not always at the table. Please keep this in mind.
Submissions: Please fill out the form and we will contact you if we are interested in more information. We encourage you to submit your proposal early, as speaking slots do fill up very quickly. Note that we will NOT review proposals that are directly emailed to us. You must fill out the form to be considered for our program.
Deadline to submit speaker nominations:
VERGE Hawaii 2017 (June 20-22): January 1, 2017